Monday, January 19, 2009

Meeting the Cales...

As I was writing the birthday post for Emily, I could not help but think back to the first time that I met her and the rest of the Cales. I was talking to Diane (my mother-in-law) the other day about it and just reflected on what a crazy story it is. It is hilarious now, but at the time, it wasn't so funny...so I thought.

It was July 24, 2006. I remember this because it was "Pioneer Day" and after having our first kiss that weekend, Austin asked me to come play at Lagoon for the day! I was so excited! I got dressed into some cute clothes and headed out the door. I was almost to the freeway, when Austin told me that I needed to wear swimming attire. "Shoot," I thought! I was taking my friend to the airport but risked making her miss her flight so that I could look cute! Ha, sorry CP!

I met up with Austin and soon after, joined Mike and Karen for our double date. The day was perfect and the night ended with Austin and I cuddling, while watching the fireworks! Mike and Karen drove us back to Austin's house, where I left my car and as I went to hug Austin good night, he offered and seemingly inappropriate proposal; "Come meet my family!" I looked down at my drenched and see-through tank top that revealed my not so "meet the parents" swimsuit. Had I brought an extra change of clothes, this situation would have been fine. Austin kept pleading and kept saying over and over, "My family is not judgemental, they will love you!" I reluctantly let him drag me into the house. I was overwhelmed when I walked into the TV room and there sat; Diane, Gene, Delaina, her baby Emi, Austin's sister Emily and Jeremy. Holy Crap! I felt all pair of eyes scan me up and down disapprovingly, as I took a seat on the couch. I had to sit on a towel, of course. Nothing says, "Welcome to the family" more than, "Please sit on this towel so you do not ruin our couch." Just kidding! Diane is WAY too nice to say that! I tried my best to make conversation with his sisters, but couldn't quite seem to redeem myself. Emily was the most chatty and shared experiences from her recent trip to Africa. I was intrigued, as I have wanted to visit Africa for as long as I can remember. She then went on to say that a few years prior, she had served a mission in Brazil. I immediately chimed in that I too, would like to serve a mission. Her face of bewilderment was priceless as she looked me up and down dubiously. Yet, she was still polite and responded, "That's great!" I do not blame their family in the slightest but just think it hilarious how horrible of a first impression I had made! I thought that Austin would stop dating me for sure! I love the Cales family and do not criticize them in anyway. If my little brother had brought home some girl in a sopping wet swimsuit, I would not be too impressed myself.

I wish I could say that I got up and left shortly after...but I didn't. His family left the room and a few minutes later, Austin and I were left alone. We decided that the best thing to do, after making such a wonderful impression, was to make out. We put on a movie, but it for some reason did not keep Austin's mom from hearing us all the way in her bedroom. We were interrupted a few minutes later by a coughing sound followed by "Austin." I cannot even begin to explain how mortified I was. Austin went into the hallway and talked to his mom. I am not sure if he thought that by being in the hallway which, was less than ten feet away, that he had been transported into a different dimension; because when he came back, he seemed to think that I had heard nothing.

Austin: My mom says that she really likes you, but says that we are being a bit noisy and would like us to keep it down because my dad has to work in the morning. She says we can watch the movie but to just keep it down a little bit.

What was really said: Austin, it's time to go. It's late and it is not smart to be making out at this hour.

Well, I was not going to be an idiot AGAIN, so I decided to leave. Austin continued to try and convince me all the way out to the car that his family just loved me, but his mom just wanted us to be careful. As if that were not enough, he even wrote me an email the next day saying the same thing! I appreciated the effort but knew that I was going to have to work pretty hard to get that bad taste out of their mouth!

It does make for a funny story! I am so glad that I have such a good relationship with all of the Cales and hope they know how much I love every single one of them!

2 comments:

em said...

Oh no, did I REALLY look you up and down when you said you wanted to serve a mission? Sorry, Britt...you're probably right that my little brother bringing home a girl in an itsy bitsy was probably not the best first impression....at LEAST now we know YOU and LOVE you to pieces. We couldn't imagine not having you in the Cales family. ;) With Austin being the youngest, we all freaked out with anyone he dated! I'm glad you came back and stuck around! ;) love you!

DeLaina said...

That was so funny! Great post! It's a good thing you're so wonderful and that we all have gotten to know you and love you as much as Austin already did that night. Everybody has to have a good Meet the fam story, though. My mil looked me up and down and proclaimed to Paul, "Oh. I thought she'd look more like Shannon." (my sis in law). Weeelllll, okay then!